Introducing me - with an A to Z

So, I'm Hazel the voice behind 'Hazel Loves Design' and the founder of 'Hazed', I figure it has been a while since I've shared a little about me, myself and I. So today, I'm introducing myself a little bit better with a little A to Z action...


If you were an ANIMAL, what would you be? 

I would be a cat, I'm a sleeper, I love mornings spent sleeping in, I love nana-naps in the afternoon and early nights with a book. Being a cat you'd be able to do all of that and not feeling guilty, and come dinner and breakfast time I'd be able to let out a meow before dinner would appear right before my eyes. Oh, it would be the life.

BOOKS - what is on your reading list? 

I don't often read, because when I do I get 'sucked in', hours, days, weeks can disappear in the blink of a book! I absolutely LOVE (read devour) everything to do with the supernatural, vampires, werewolves, fallen angels, shadow hunters and the Four's, Will & Jace Herondale's, Patch's, Adrian Ishakov's - I'm a huge sucker for teenage romances! 

Likewise I have a novel that I am writing, I doubt it will ever reach completion, too many other things happening, not enough hours of the day to bring every one of my dreams alive, but hopefully one day.

COMPULSIVE about anything? 

Ahhh - cleanliness, my desk at work is sparse, everything has it's own space, I can't work with too much paperwork on my desk. Likewise at home (although I'm not so pedantic about it anymore), but I'm often told off for making our house too much like a 'hotel room', like no one lives there because everything has been tucked away out of sight. 

DREAMS - Do you... dream in colour? Remember your dreams? Keep a dream journal?

I heard recently that scientist's are trying to prove that because we spend a third of our life asleep and in our dreams that dreams must be an alternate reality - it's an interesting concept. For me, more often than not these days by the time my head hits the pillow I am so absolutely exhausted that I sleep solidly until my alarm blasts me awake in the early hours of the morning (fortunately the dead of the morning isn't so black now spring has come about). But I seldom recall my dreams anymore - I'm either awake or dead asleep! 

EATING - what's your usual snack?

Ummm... do lollies count as a snack? I think I have an addiction to sugar, but I don't want to research it or self diagnose. So let's just say 'I like lollies', everyone has a guilty pleasure... right?

Just a few of your FAVOURITE things...

This has certainly changed over the last couple of years, if you'd asked me this a few years ago the items would have been quite materialistic, and in fact they probably still are. But my favourite things are 1. My son and 2. Myself - and days spent without any work and the two of us are my favourite days of all, especially if those days are filled with sunshine! 

GIGGLES! What (or who) makes you laugh? Do you have a good sense of humour?

I've recently been told I have a 'random' sense of humour, it's perfectly normal for me to be fairly quiet in a conversation only to throw in a random comment for a bit of a laugh. I don't really like those 'silly funny' movies, grown up humour is more my thing. 

Major HOT button...

I just had to google 'Hot Button' - bit clueless on this one, but for me it has to be cyclists - cyclist's who think they are cars, cyclist's who ride across railway crossings when the rest of us have stopped for the boom gates, cyclist's who ride in the car lane when there is a cyclist lane 'just there'! Grrr... road rage hits me too often around cyclists who endanger their own lives and create risks for everyone else. 

I am...

Growing up, discovering who I am, discovering what is important to me and discovering where my priorities lay. Better late than never I guess. 

Also KNOWN as... aliases? screen names? a nom de plume perhaps? 

Hazy. Haze. 

I LOVE...

Exclamation marks!! Using the word 'love'. 

How do you feel about MEETING people?

Oh. My. Goodness - I am so shy, so shy that people get confused and think that I am a snob, I'm not a snob, I am just awkwardly shy, I gravitate towards the people that I know because of my social anxiety. Not because I'm cliquey or an aforementioned snob. 

If you see me, come up and strike a conversation with me, I'm probably feeling awkward and will appreciate it. It's the one thing that scares me about my dreams for Hazed, how is a person as social awkward as me supposed to take on things like workshops and tours when I can barely strike up conversations with people I do not know! 

What's the story of your NAME? 

I was named after my Nana Hazel (on my Father's side), Mum was overdue when she went into labour on the evening of my Nana Hazel's birthday... luckily Nana saved her a slice of birthday Pavlova and in return she got an extra special birthday gift that year... me. 

Even now that Nana Hazel has passed I have a special affinity with her memory and strive to keep her proud in all that I do and all that I achieve. 

OBSERVANT - what is around you right now? What do you see? 

Watching Saturday afternoon DVD's with Brooklyn with popcorn and cartoons, it's a bit of a tradition in our house, we spend the morning at gymnastics (and soon swimming lessons as well), do our weekly chores and then take it easy in the afternoon. Because Brooklyn and I are both so busy during our weeks we try to keep our weekends as relaxed as possible to keep healthy and rested - and on my end, prevent burn out. 

Who are the special PEOPLE in your life? 

Well... durh. MY FAMILY!

Any little QUIRKS about yourself?

I love lollies, like I may have an addiction to sugar - it is that freaking serious how much I need to have lollies in my life! I have been known to have them for breakfast, so totally naughty and delicious all at the same time!

What do you like to do for RECREATION?

I'm ultra boring - I REST. Well that's not entirely true, I work full time in lending for Westpac, so my weekdays are full of number crunching, saying yes and all to often saying no. By evening I am a Mum, I hold hands, I play, I read and tuck into bed. By night I run Hazed, I interview designers and artisans for my blog and the magazine, I create and layout the magazine, I chase down new and exciting stockists and sponsors. By midnight I sleep.

So yes, when the weekend comes about and I'm not catching up on my 'Hazed' to do lists, I rest and I read.

Do you SING in the shower? In the car? For your friends?

No. As in HELL NO. Nobody needs to hear that, not even me!

What's at the top of your TO DO list?

A couple of things that have actually been there a while, I'm a procrastinator, and I've been digging my heels in a little bit too much lately! Enjoying a little too much of that rest I mentioned above!

Any UNUSUAL experiences?

Ah - this is an interesting question, unusual is in the eye of the beholder, wouldn't you say? I saw a man be hit by a taxi in Melbourne, he laid still for a long time until the ambulance arrived. I had an old man mistake me for a prostitute when I was walking home from work on the Gold Coast - I was in high heels - go figure?

I probably just found the two most gloomy experiences in my repertoire for you there!

VEGAS, Vienna, Venice, Vladivostok... How far have you travelled? What's your favourite city?

I was going to mention this in the question above - the furthest I've either travelled was to Scotland as a child, when I was ten my family was sent on an all expenses paid trip to England so that my Mother and Aunty could be reunited with their Mother my grandmother, who they hadn't seen for more than twenty years. All part of the television show 'Surprise, Surprise' with Cilla Black.

My fondest memories of the trip itself were visit Hamley's Toy Shop in London and Loch Ness in Scotland.

As an adult I haven't travelled further afield than Australia, where I lived for seven years. Yet.

WINTER, spring, summer, autumn... which is your favourite season? What makes it special?
EXES...

Do they mean like Xander in XXX? Because Vin Diesel is one of my all time favourite actors! When it comes to exes my list is minimal, and for that I have to be thankful.

Any secret/deep YEARNINGS?

Ah, yip. I'd like to be a millionaire by the time I am forty. Just saying universe. Just saying.

ZERO to ZENITH - where are you in your life? Still growing? On an upward (or downward) curve? Just skating along?

Wouldn't you like to know... I'm actually dealing with an 'interesting' experience at the moment, but it's too fresh to share just yet. 

Thank you to Sonia Styling for initially introducing this fun concept to me! Now go on and share what are a couple of YOUR A to Z's??

No comments: