{BOOK CLUB} Spellbound

What's a girl to do when meeting 'The One' means she's cursed to die a horrible death?

Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Conner, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to -Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.

But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Street lamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's being having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives- visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.
So let's be honest. I enjoyed this book! Really enjoyed it, even though so many points should have frustrated me, it was a combination of 'Gossip Girl' meets 'Twilight'. 

The girl who goes to live in a strange town to complete High School, runs into a beyond gorgeous hot guy, who then blows her off before eventually deciding to make time for her, running into a little bit of supernatural trouble before eventually living 'Happily ever after' story line is getting a little bit boring!!

I'll give you a hint what the sequel will be all about; the girl will get dumped by the hot guy, fall in love with her best friend, the boyfriend will eventually come back and be irresistible again, causing the girl to have to choose between true love and the best friend!!!! Hopefully Shultz will be a little bit more original.

The story line also echoed a little towards Lauren Kate's 'Fallen' with past lives and eternal struggle with the path to true love.

So those parts DID frustrate me, but I found Shultz's writing easy to read, I found the character's enjoyable, I fell in love with Brendan and this forced me to keep reading to see what would happen next as their relationship deepened. Now I am eager to read the next book and discover what more will happen.

Despite the fact we never meet Emma's twin brother Ethan in the book (mostly because he was killed before the beginning of the book), I liked him, I like the fact that he was still looking out for his sister. It reminded me a lot of my brother (except my brother is still alive!!) and how he looks out for both of his sisters.

I also loved Angelique, the misunderstood teenage witch. I liked her right from the point when I read her name (that was my top choice for if Jellybean arrived as a girl!) and I hope that she has top placing in any new books that Shultz writes. 

Another part of the book I enjoyed, was when Shultz was describing Brendan;

"Soon enough, Brendan came into view. He wasn't leaning against the mailbox this morning, but against the cool stone of Vince A, with his headphones on and his hands stuffed into the pockets of his North Face jacket. His eyes were closed and his head was back, bouncing slightly in time to whatever he was listening to. As if he'd heard us approaching, Brendan turned toward us and opened his eyes - giving me a warm inviting smile." p.233

So why did I enjoy that part? I recently purchased hubby a North Face jacket!! LOL! So it made me feel that I was in someway connected with the uber attractive Brendan!!

Shultz obviously has a sense of humour as you can become a friend of Brendan on Facebook! Or download Brendan and Emma's iTunes playlist!

Would I recommend the book? Yes, if you are looking for a light read without too many complexities! I really honestly enjoyed the book.

By the way, just got this comment back from Shultz on her blog;
"Thanks so much, Hazel! I'm so happy you enjoyed it - and I promise you, there is NO love triangle for Emma in the sequel!"


I love that she actually takes the time to communicate with her fans!

No comments: