MAY BOOK CLUB....

'Evernight' 
Claudia Gray

To be honest I initially purchased this book because it was reduced to only $5.00, it was about vampires, and I had nothing else to read!! So I thought I'd take a punt on it. And I am glad I did. There are aspects of the book that run a parallel with the 'House of Night' vampire series that I really enjoyed. 

But it also puts a unique spin on the Vampire folklore. For example the idea that there could be a school, out there somewhere, where vampires are enrolled to re-educate themselves to stop them from stagnating in society. It makes sense after reading about Anne Rice's ancient-original vampires who hide in caves for centuries at a time, after becoming bored with human life.

I loved the story and development of Bianca as she discovers her heritage, and watching how it changes and develops the relationship that she has with the other students (who considering their vampire age, can act very childish and teenage like). I also enjoy watching the budding romance between Bianca and Lucas, but I couldn't help rooting for Balthazar, an older vampire who stands by Bianca when Lucas can't or doesn't.

I also can't help feeling jealous of the ultimate beauty and worldly experience of vampires like Patrice, Bianca's room mate. It's unfair that we don't all get to live for eternity in gorgeous bodies!! I guess that is the pull of vampire folk lore.

The climax of the story is unexpected, and definitely got me going. I want to know what happens next!! It is an easy read, that you could take with you to the beach this summer. I'm surprised to see that there are four other books in this series.... Amazon here I come!!


So... what is coming up next for book club?? 

'Dead Until Dark'
Charlaine Harris

Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's quiet, keeps to herself and doesn't get out much. Not because she's not pretty. She is. It's just that, well, Sookie has this sort of 'disability'. She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then along comes Bill: he's tall, dark and handsome -and Sookie can't 'hear' a word he's thinking. He's exactly the type of guy she's been waiting for all her life. 
But Bill has a disability of his own: He's a vampire. Worse than that, he hangs with a seriously creepy crowd, with a reputation for trouble - of the murderous kind.
And when one of Sookie's colleagues is killed, she begins to fear she'll be next...
I have some questions I want you to ponder about the book, that I'll be asking again come June 27th:
*Do you see Sookie's ability to read minds as a strength or a disability? Would you want to be able to read minds?
*Why do you think Sookie was so immediately attracted to Bill?
*Who do you think is a better match for Sookie? Bill or Sam?
*Do you think Sookie's deal with Eric will come back to haunt her?
*Why wouldn't Sookie drink Bill's blood at the end of the book to heal herself faster? Do you think drinking blood is a valid decision in a world where vampires exist?
*What song would you associate with this book?
Of course, you've probably all heard of HBO's 'True Blood', this book is what the first series is based upon. So although June's book club will be primarily be based upon 'Dead Until Dark', I am also curious to hear what True Blood-ites think of the series and the rest of the books.

If you have read the whole series... which book is your favourite?? Have you read Charlaine's other books as well? And what do you think of Charlaine as an overall writer?

Look forward to hearing your opinions on June 27th!

Also if anyone has a recommendation for book club based in the 'supernatural' theme I'd LOVE to hear about it!!! Just email me: hazellovesdesign@yahoo.com

No comments: